Position: VCIC Incubation Specialist
Working duration: 12 months (Full time), renewable based on performance
Beginning time: April, 2017 (or as soon as possible)
Business places: Hanoi (travel to other provinces as required)
Vietnam’s Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) with the support of the World Bank, the UK Department for International Development (DFID) and the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has launched the Vietnam Climate Innovation Center Project (VCIC). The VCIC seeks an Incubation Specialist with outstanding leadership and managerial capabilities, results-oriented mind-set, entrepreneurial drive and demonstrated understanding of issues relating to entrepreneurship to support management and operations of the VCIC Center to meet its aspiration objectives.
The VCIC will support Vietnam’s economic development, job creation and industrial competitiveness through support to clean technology businesses and industries. Through provision of financing and non-financial services, the VCIC will support local entrepreneurs that develop innovative technologies and business models in a range of climate technology-related areas. The VCIC will also provide a platform to create national and international business-to-business linkages, enhance knowledge sharing and facilitate trade. The VCIC will become the focal point of innovative commercial development of profitable climate-related business in Vietnam and potentially South East Asia. As a member of Climate Innovation Center Network, the VCIC will leverage existing practices and experience to support clean technology ventures and industries (see more information on the infoDev Climate Technology Program at http://www.infodev.org/climate).
The project activities consist of three components:
• Component I. Establishment, operation of VCIC and policy feedback: administrative activities in establishing VCIC; supporting policy improvement and public-private partnership in the climate change innovation field; and establishing a fund for technology incubation and commercialization of technology in responding to climate change.
• Component II. Business incubation/climate innovation technology services, including sponsor for companies: support to clean tech start-up ideation (idea incubation and competition); business incubation services including training, mentorship, connectivity and boosting investment; and supporting commercialization. Additionally, it involves sponsoring select entrepreneurs and their ideas through grant competitions.
• Component III. E-portal, database and services to support business: creation of the VCIC e-portal; setting up database on technology, market opportunities, enterprises, climate change – related experts; and dissemination, exploration and efficient use of the database.
VCIC will operate under Vietnam Government’s regulations on management and use of ODA (Decree No. 38/2013/NĐ-CP and other related documents). The project governing body is the Ministry of Science and Technology. The project management unit is the National Agency for Technology Entrepreneurship and Commercialization Development (NATEC). Main related parties include: Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Planning and Development, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, Ministry of Finance.
Services to be provided by the VCIC
• Entrepreneurship and Venture Acceleration, including advisory services; mentoring and business training; access to start-up facilities; and a women’s entrepreneurship program.
• Access to Finance, including proposal evaluation; proof of concept grants; access to seed funding; and access to commercial investors and banks.
• Market Growth and Access through the production of market studies and reports on climate technology markets and trends and facilitation of national and international linkages.
• Technology and Product Development, principally by facilitating access to technical services, design, prototyping and testing and a network of national and international experts.
• Policy & Regulatory Support, through research and policy advocacy.
The VCIC Incubation Specialist will develop and implement a suite of incubation services for VCIC companies to support CEO and PMU in management and operation of VCIC Center. He/she will be reporting directly to CEO.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to the following:
• Develop and implement suite of incubation services offered to VCIC companies;
• Manage, perform, monitor and evaluate VCIC activities relating to technology/business incubation, and proof of concept competitions;
• Directly interact with VCIC companies throughout the incubation process;
• Contribute to the development of VCIC strategies and activities (vision, objectives, plans, actions, target clients, partner relations, finances, monitoring & evaluation);
• Prepare periodic reports of the project/center related to start-up support and incubation;
• Perform other tasks within VCIC activities scope, as assigned by senior management.
• A Master’s degree and at least 5 years of experience in business development, incubation or early stage financing, and understanding of specific sectors, such as renewable energy, energy efficiency, agriculture, information technology, water resources management, etc. Direct experience in developing a business is preferred;
• Demonstrated understanding of issues relating to enterprise development. It will be an advantage to have been involved in the management of a business incubator;
• Experience in policy making and consultancy activities in technology/business incubation;
• Demonstrated rigorous understanding of the local context including the business and investment climate in Vietnam in the private and public sectors and ability to interact with key stakeholders, from both public and private sectors;
• Evidence of networking ability. It will be an advantage to have established networks with the business community in Vietnam at large;
• Must be fluent in spoken and written English and Vietnamese;
• Proven interpersonal and leadership skills, results-oriented mindset including ability to motivate and lead teams and engender trust amongst clients, employees and partners.
• Demonstrated passion, interest, knowledge and understanding about the dynamics of climate change;
• Ability to multi-task under tight deadlines;
• Ability and willingness to work under tight deadlines and on urgent tasks;
• The job will require on-site visits to VCIC clients located across Vietnam, on a regular basis;
• International and domestic travel may occur from time to time, including to interact with the global network of CICs.
Qualified candidates should submit their Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae to: email@example.com no later than 17.00 Hanoi time on Monday, 10th April 2017. Please reference “VCIC Incubation Specialist – (full name)” in the subject line. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for interviews.